Monday 30 March 2020

Fashion and sustainability


Hi again, everyone.

One new week and one new post. Lesson 15 from our textbook deals with trends. I know you have already completed the activities on pages 134 and 135. If you missed that class, please do them by yourselves -I'll send you the answers by email for self correction. However, I'd like to add a twist to this lesson and mix it with another lesson we have in our Year Programme, sustainability (not in our textbook).

I have found this link I'd like to share with you in order to have a class discussion next Wednesday at 7pm. Are we going back to school? Not, I'm afraid we aren't, but I want to try this knew tool I've been using with friends and family during this quarantine. Its name is Zoom. Have you ever used it? It's very easy. I'll send you a link by email you have to use in order to be part of this online discussion. Please, remember that previously you must watch the Ted talk you'll find at the end of the attached link and think about the answers to the 3 proposed questions. There is also a vocabulary glossary and a quiz you can check.

The ad which illustrates this post is just food for thought. ;)

See you on Wednesday at 7 on Zoom. Now you have an excuse to wear your best top, do your hair and/or shave your beard. Ha, ha, ha!


8 comments:

  1. There a several idioms about fashion like this one: "Dress to kill". A visual explanation:

    https://www.beautifullife.info/advertisment/dressed-to-kill-by-wallis/

    (a publicity campaing by Wallis)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wear a pair of Wallis I would certainly feel dressed to kill...

      Delete
  2. Ha, ha, ha! Love it, Carlos! An easy way to remember the idiom "Dressed to kill".

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGCRptw5_KE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5923v7ukM

    Here you are two advertisements from the only trademark that works for oversized women: Violeta by Mango.
    I really like the clothes they wear, I don't think they are objectified at all. Violeta shows the world that there is nice and slim fashionable clothes over xl size. But what I like the most are the sound track, which I found totally suitable for the ads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everybody!

    Sorry for the delay!. I've found this ad which I find very direct and funny (yes, I'm weird like that, hahaha).

    It's an ad by METRO, the train and tube company and it uses funny animated characters and a really catchy song just to tell people to be safe around trains. Apparently, the ad had an impact on people and since then, the number of deaths and "near deaths" around trains has decreased. Also, it is the most awarded campaign in the history of Cannes.

    https://youtu.be/pS9441I6OZ4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I'd end up humming the chorus hahaha!

      I'm willing to test some of the theories... it's a joke!

      Delete
  5. That's an ad which has nothing to do with fashion and trends, but I found it weird and funny.
    Now I'm trying to find one related to our topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, yay me! I posted this in the wrong entry *_*

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.