Wednesday 8 April 2020

Models and Advertisements



In lesson 15, Trends, we are discussing about the role of models in advertisements. In this post, I'm asking you to find an ad for a product that uses a model / models. Please, write a comment to this post and paste a link with your selected ad, present it to the readers of this blog, saying what it's promoting, and whether it is successful or not. Tell us if you think the model is objectified and presented positively or not.

My example: This is an ad by the soap company Dove. For years, I've been a fan of the ads by this company because they always try to pay attention to diversity. They show many types of women who are proud of themselves, no matter how fat, masculine, old or "too pretty" they are. At the end of the commercial we find out what they all have in common; with the slogan "my beauty / my say" we find out they all use the same soap. I think the models are not being objectified, but quite the opposite, and they're presented positively. However, while looking for an ad for this post I found out Dove has also made mistakes in some of their advertising ideas and had to apologize about it. Check this link to find out more about it.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everybody!

    I've decided to take advantage of the opportunity to show one of the best and hardest advertisements I've ever seen. It doesn't promote any product, but an idea.

    NAPCAN: Children see, children do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JrtpCM4yMM

    It uses several extremely negative role models to make people think about their own behaviour. At the end, it shows a positive example.

    In my opinion, the ad hits the spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a shocking ad, Carlos! I looked for who was behind it and I found out it is NAPCAN (The National Association for Prevention of Child Abuse). Very powerful indeed! Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
    2. The ad has astonished me... Clap, clap, clap...

      Delete
  3. Hi everybody!

    Here's the ad I've chosen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikuiByrF6rs

    This ad is promoting the French water brand Evian. I think it is succesful, first of all, in attracting the audience's attention and, secondly, in transmitting the idea that this water makes you feel young and active. Personally, I find it most amusing and I could see it once and again. The models are not objectified as they are presented with their individual style. No matter their age or sex, the product is good for everyone.

    I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I didn't remember it, thanks!

      Delete
    2. Yeah! Really cool, I've never seen it before and I liked it!

      Delete
  4. https://www.stradivarius.com/es/nueva-colecci%C3%B3n/ropa/compra-por-producto/comfy-c1020283558.html


    Do you remember what I told about Stradivarius? Here you are the link to the Comfy style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mapy! Yes, I do remember you telling us about this collection. Unbelievable! Taking advantage of any situation. The comfy clothes is quite nice, to be honest. Very tempting! ha, ha, ha!

      Delete

  5. Hello everyone.
    This is the ad that I found. At first viewing I don't know how to rate it. At that time it caused controversy and was withdrawn.
    It refers to a fashion company that for Mother's Day presents a model girl who tries on a dress that fits her in the store, also with a cushion simulating that she is pregnant. Then with a needle puncture condoms. So as she decides the clothes she wants to buy and wear, she decides if she wants to be pregnant and mother. Can it be a perpetuation of women's roles? It is possible, but…

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2KIOnbgEBY&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sergio.
    Glad to see you were finally able to make a comment. Thank you for sharing your ad. I enjoyed it, but I can see why it caused controversy. Food for thought, no doubts.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.